Practical guide to walking the North Downs Way National Trail that runs from Farnham in Surrey to Dover in Kent, partly following the old Pilgrims Way to the shrine of St Thomas a Becket at Canterbury.
It winds its way through the protected landscape of the Surrey Hills and the Kent Downs, passing medieval churches, castles, Neolithic burial sites, vineyards and numerous WWII defences. There are literary associations with Swift, Cobbett, Dickens and Jane Austen.
- 80 large-scale walking maps - at just under 1:20,000 - showing route times, places to stay, points of interest and much more, and 15 town plans.
- 14 stage maps showing hills and descents, and 2 overview maps.
- Itineraries for all walkers - whether walking the route in its entirety or sampling highlights on day walks and short breaks.
- 15 town plans.
- Places to stay with reviews - campsites, bunkhouses, hostels, B&Bs, pubs and hotels.
- Places to eat with reviews - cafes, teashops, pubs, takeaways, restaurants.
- What to see - historical, cultural, geographical background information.
- Comprehensive public transport information - for all access points on the Path.
- Flora and fauna - four page full colour flower guide, plus an illustrated section on local wildlife.
- Green hiking - understanding the local environment and minimizing our impact on it.
- GPS waypoints - also downloadable from the Trailblazer website.