Rough Guide ed. 2020.
Make the most of your time on Earth with the ultimate travel guides. World-renowned ‘tell it like it is’ travel guide.
Discover California with this comprehensive and entertaining travel guide, packed with practical information and honest recommendations by our independent experts. Whether you plan to hit the surf and seaside rollercoasters of Santa Cruz, hike in the Sierra Nevada, roam the Napa Valley’s wineland, or embark on a Route 66 road trip, the Rough Guide to California will help you discover the best places to explore, eat, drink, shop and sleep along the way.
Features of this travel guide to California:
- Detailed regional coverage: provides practical information for every kind of trip, from off-the-beaten-track adventures to chilled-out breaks in popular tourist areas
- Honest and independent reviews: written with Rough Guides’ trademark blend of humour, honesty and expertise, our writers will help you make the most from your trip to California
- Meticulous mapping: practical full-colour maps, with clearly numbered, colour-coded keys. Find your way around San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and many more locations without needing to get online
- Fabulous full-colour photography: features inspirational colour photography, including the sheer mountains of Yosemite National Park cast in a golden morning light and iconic Bixby Creek Bridge connecting the cliffs of the beautiful Big Sur coast
- Time-saving itineraries: carefully planned routes will help inspire and inform your on-the-road experiences
- Things not to miss: Rough Guides’ rundown of Pam Springs, Yosemite Valley, Redwood National Park, Route 66 and Big Sur’s best sights and top experiences
- Travel tips and info: packed with essential pre-departure information including getting around, accommodation, food and drink, health, the media, festivals, sports and outdoor activities, culture and etiquette, shopping and more
- Background information: comprehensive ‘Contexts’ chapter provides fascinating insights into California, with coverage of history, religion, ethnic groups, environment, wildlife and books, plus a handy language section and glossary
Covers: Los Angeles; San Diego; the deserts; Death Valley; the Sierra; the Central Coast; San Francisco; the Gold Country; Lake Tahoe and Northern California